This was the year of Things That Didn't Happen.
I didn't get retrenched. I didn't get published. I didn't move house, finish my PI course, win any competition I entered, finish my novel, learn to drive, buy a car, clear my debts, fix my speakers, pay off my laptop, or throw out my old clothes.
All this is not depressing to me at all, because this has been the year that I worked towards goals. I'm not there yet, but I'm well along the path. So some things did happen.
- Finished the first draft of my first novel. Sent it off to the Debut Daggers and although it wasn't shortlisted, it made it to the unofficial top 25. That's a vote of confidence in my writing.
- Wrote a review of a Diamanda Galas concert and she emailed me to ask permission to put it on her website. Another vote for my writing.
- Finished the first Danny Hawaii short story. We'll see what happens with that.
- Spent a few months in the course that all PIs in NSW have to complete, and ended up with tons of notes and textbooks that should provide me with plenty of details for writing.
- Created www.danielhatadi.com which of course includes this here blog.
- It will be the year I get published, one way or another, even if it's a short story in a reputable online zine.
- I'll get my driver's license and a car too.
- The laptop will be paid off and I'll make a significant dent in my debts.
- And of course I'll finish The Damn Novel, as well as keeping on the path of The Five Year Plan.
For the final send off to the year, I'm going to make damn sure I don't do what I did last New Year's Eve. Recovery time will be measured in hours, not days.
*waves drink at 2005*