Monday, April 16, 2007

Caffeine Blues

Since I started work for my current employer, I have been a happy and not so happy purveyor of the multiple evils known as coffee, Coke, Pepsi Max (my favourite poison), and all the other flavours of caffeine.

At first, it started off as a way to help me adjust to my new time zone. In the months between jobs, I quickly developed a habit of staying up late and getting up later. Turning up to work by 9am seemed a monumental task and my drug of choice, caffeine, seemed to be the obvious way of dealing with my lack of wakefulness.

Things have changed lately. I'd been having coffee with breakfast, followed by a hit of Pepsi Max when I got to work. That same bottle kept me going all day but left me worn out and cranky. Add to that the extra workload at my job and at Crimespace, as well as trying to work on a novel, and my head has been on the verge of exploding. Minor issues have blown out of all proportion and in The Real World I've been short, sharp, and snappy.

So yesterday, I quit caffeine. I've done this before and was without coffee and Coke for years. My head was clearer and I slept better. I'll still allow myself the pleasure of tea, but it's time to return to that previous version of me, the nicer version. I'll yawn for a couple of weeks and probably have a few minor headaches, but it'll be worth it.

This isn't really a big deal. It's just caffeine, nothing I've snorted or injected, but I'm putting this up here to keep myself honest. This makes it real.

Today's drug service announcement was brought to you by the letter C, which doesn't stand for 'sea'.

8 comments:

Mary said...

Great image and yep, what you've been lookin' like to me lately. First week is always a little off with caffeine withdrawal but it'll be good in the long run! x

Mindy Tarquini said...

I've decaffeinated a few times. Have done so in the last four months of so. You'll never miss it. Fruit juice and water - it's good for you.

angie said...

Weirdly enough, I'm a half-caff coffee girl. Actually, more of a 1/3 high-octane, 2/3 de-caf. No caffeine and my eyes never fully open, and that's not an exaggeration.

Last week I ran out of de-caf. and the full on coffee (okay, really espresso...I don't do coffee except in espresso) made my stomach and head hurt. It was such a relief when I got back to less caffeine! Hard transition to go cold turkey, but yeah, you'll feel a lot better & have more energy w/o it. Definitely drink more water. Lots and lots of water...

Daniel Hatadi said...

One week, fruit juice, water, okay. I've tattooed all this onto my wrist, just to keep me going while I'm in this daze.

Margaret said...

Good luck Daniel. It will be interesting to see if your novel takes on a different tone with the mind on a caffeine free bend.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like good advice you've been given, Daniel. Nothing to add to it but to wish you well. One benefit of decaffing is that if you do have the odd cup afterwards, you really feel the buzz! (I can recommend guarana, too - amazing dreams...)

I'm now thinking about how to administer caffeine to my keyboard, though: 'short, sharp and snappy' - my prose would benefit from a bit of that!

Jools

Anonymous said...

Good luck. I drink a ton of Coke/Pepsi when I'm buried with work, then go cold turkey for a few weeks when work lets up. I hate "needing" it or having headaches from not drinking it. Everything in moderation I guess...

Jonathan Carfax said...

I'm going to recommend a substitute.

It's pricey, but its delicious.

Wattleseed Coffee
(no caffeine)

You'll thank me.