Wednesday, November 08, 2006

NaNoWriMo: The Drug Wars

Working full time and doing my best to fit in the requisite amount of NaNo-writing per day is leaving me a little worse for wear. Generally, I'm a terrible sleeper so this isn't so much of an issue, but when I'm trying to think carefully about a number of things at once, after already spending the whole day doing the same ... I need help.

The kind of help only drugs can give.

Here are my drug-related tips for anyone crazy enough to spend a month writing their arse off:

  • Whiskey: Only to be used in short bursts, and only if the dreaded Inner Editor is stronger than usual. The drop in inhibitions and judgement is offset by the danger of falling asleep at the computer.
  • Coffee: For most, this will be the poison of choice. Whether cafe style, plunger or instant, the caffeine hit is sure to get the synapses firing on overtime, if only for a short burst. And that's where the problem with coffee lies: for me, the ups-and-downs are too erratic. Best used to simply wake up with every day.
  • Coke: Ah, the good old Dynamic Ribbon of sugar and cocaine. Doesn't work quite like that these days, but the sugar gives you just enough energy while you wait for the caffeine to hit. Vanilla Coke is my favourite, because I'm a sucker for anything that I'm told is 'intriguing.' For the amount you have to drink to get the brain chugging, the sheer quantity of sugar will immediately bring about total weight gain. Best not to use too often, like I do.
  • Pepsi Max: The most useful competitor to Coke, this version of Pepsi supposedly has maximum taste without the sugar. The taste of anything using artificial sweeteners is questionable at best, but the amount of caffeine in this drink is eminently useful for late-night writing sessions. All this, without the weight gain.
  • Red Bull: I've picked this as the leader of the energy drinks because it's the most well known. Like V and Columbian Cola, this can give serious jitters, leaving you awake and non-functional as writer for long after consumption. Best drunk at nightclubs if you can't afford anything illegal.
If you read the list in detail, the clear winner is Pepsi Max. I tested it last night when I was feeling particularly tired and it gave me the writing boost I needed to stay on target. I'd be worried about drinking it on a constant basis, due to the artificial sweeteners, but overall, it gets the NaNo-ThumbsUp from me.

7 comments:

Jeroen said...

Caffeine(nodoze) + aspirin + (psuedo)ephidrene.... works a treat, lasts all day, no downer. Brilliant.

:)

I didn't really say that, ok?

Daniel Hatadi said...

Naughty boy! That last one is a little harder to get hold of these days. Since they made people show ID to get it, all the pharmaceutical companies are switching to an equivalent chemical.

angie said...

You're starting to scare me, dude.

Anonymous said...

Man, if you're gonna do it, do it properly...illegal! *jokes*

Daniel Hatadi said...

Angie, fear is a powerful motivator. Now go and write!

And Mary? Yes dear ...

Stephen Blackmoore said...

Ya know, you could just make your own. People do it out here all the time.

Daniel Hatadi said...

Move along everyone, nothing to see here.

(Blackmoore, I'll meet you in the alley)