Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Is Your Mobile Bugging You?

What better way to return to my normally NaNo-free scheduled blogging than to link to something someone else has written.

Gary Hughes has an article up over at his Gotcha blog filled with potential plot fodder for a techno-thriller, if that's your kind of bag. If it isn't, you're probably paranoid and want to know more about it anyway.

"Counter-surveillance consultant and former US government electronic intelligence officer James Atkinson told CNET that software, which would remotely activate a phone’s microphone and turn it into a bug, could be downloaded on to a mobile without the owner being aware. “They can be remotely accessed and made to transmit room audio all the time,” he said. “You can do that without having physical access to the phone."

3 comments:

Mystery Dawg said...

Isn't it great to be NaNo Free....

I read what I wrote and now it the lining of the cat's litter box and the rabbit's cage. Oh well, there was kernal of a story that I will plod away at over the next 10 years, lol.

Sandra Ruttan said...

I love technophobia. Thing is, evilkev used to work for two different cellular companies, so I'm aware of all sorts of interesting things you can do with cell phones!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's scary. But, my analog life is so dreadfully boring, I doubt they'd hear anything remotely of interest. Just the sound of a keyboard tapping...a latte being made...more keyboard tapping...